Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Health Care Reform and the Politics of Fear, part deux

I repeat: If anyone has questions about Health Care and why a Public Option (weak)/NHS or hybrid Model, (i.e., France,) is better...Let me know. I worked in Health Insurance, specifically a Medicaid/Medicare/SCHIP HMO for 8+ yrs. I know what I'm talking about. I had a license to sell insurance, which is way more complicated than you think and I passed the test on the first try. I'm not stupid. Seriously. 


Medicare is socialized medicine. So is Medicaid. Medicare, for seniors, is administered in an efficient and humane fashion. Medicaid is for bums, (or so the right-wing would have us believe,) sucking at the government teat and wasting our tax dollars. 


Bullshit. 
No, Bullshit. Really. 


If Medicaid were administered efficiently, sick people would get the care they need, there would be no stigma attached to it and hey, people who need temporary help might get back to being productive citizens. 
That's just crazy talk, in this country. 


What nearly all the republican, (and some of the democrats,) in congress don't want you to know :The health insurance, for-profit treatment and pharmaceutical industries rank up there with Big Oil, Coal, Agribusiness and Military Contractors when it comes to who has them on a short leash. Campaign contributions...Money *is* speech, according to capitol hill. Riiiiggghhhtt. 
Pull the other leg, it's got bells on it.


You say that NHS/Universal Health Care/Single-payer will DOOM the free market in this country?


Really? Last I checked, you take what health insurance you're offered if you're lucky enough to have an employer offering it and you can afford to pay for it. How is that a free market from the consumer's perspective? Oh, it's not supposed to be free for the consumer... Never mind. 


You say that NHS/UHC/SP will put an undue burden on employers to offer more direct compensation?
Really? How about this: If I'm not spending 30% of my income keeping my ass covered by crappy insurance just in case something really, really bad happens to me, my kid, my partner... I might actually feel better about my salary and I might be spending money on other stuff. Hey, that could help the economy, couldn't it?


I could, (and at some point, probably will,) go on and on and on...
Hopefully, you're starting to get the picture. 
Ask me questions, I'll answer them in a blog. Really. 



No comments:

Post a Comment