Sunday, September 6, 2009

Strange Bedfellows, or:How I learned to stop worrying and love the block

It is a truism that politics makes for some strange bedfellows. I've stopped trying. I used to be willing to engage with conscientious, thoughtful, reasonable people of opposing views. Unfortunately, since the forum I'm speaking of is Twitter.com and it's led by the prerogative of those who follow you... Occasionally, the nut jobs spoiling for a fight find me. I've learned how to block preemptively. It is good. (You have to go to the profile page and click on "block user" in the sidebar. Wheeee.)

 Things my mother taught me: Refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person, never bring a knife to a gunfight and never, ever, ever act stupid to make people like you. Unless they're in a trade you need: mechanic, plumber, electrician. (I fail at this, by the way: acting stupid... Fail. Fail. Fail.)

I tried to play nice. I followed my President's example and tried to find common ground with the conservatives. Actually, this is not hard, in principle: I want less government, (quit telling me what to do with my body, who and how I can fuck and what substances I'm allowed to imbibe as an adult. Kthxbai.) I want lower taxes, (since there are plenty of super-rich people who can afford higher taxes.) I like the bill of rights, all of them. Including the 2nd Amendment. (Really.)
Roosevelt conservatives believe in good stewardship and conservation of wildlife and environment, efficient spending and service. I believe in those things.
Tragically, the party of Lincoln and Roosevelt has been hijacked by xenophobic fascists who don't have the brains god gave a turnip but who think that EVERYONE must do as they say.

Fuck that.
I've gotten cranky after 8 years of being called a traitor and harassment for having an opposing point of view from the jingoistic rah-rah flag-waving contingent.
Uh...'Scuse me: This country was founded upon the principles of dissent, and a revolt against the government in power. Do these people read or understand history? Have they read the constitution?
Equal Protection. The outlawing of Slavery and Indentured Servitude. The anti-establishment clause... Yo, people, get a clue.

I want President Obama to take a step back, think, "Hey, I won. We won. Let's get this done already."
I want him to whip the blue dogs into line, put 'em on a choke chain and get the job done.
I want him to stop trying to placate people who will gladly whip their base into a frenzy that could very well end in violence, just to get reelected and DO WHAT WE ELECTED HIM TO DO.
In the meantime, the only strange bedfellows I'm interested in are the kind the right-wing would like to see in jail for being abominations. I've learned to stop worrying and love the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment